Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Giving Thanks


   It’s American Thanksgiving and, while I already celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving six weeks ago, I’d like to take this opportunity to give thanks for my many blessings. In short, I am thankful that:
Canada’s Thanksgiving sensibly falls on a Monday, not on a Thursday.
I don’t have to spend eight hours and three connecting flights to get home for Thanksgiving.
I can’t vote in the U. S. so no one can blame me for the current mess.
My prime minister is able to speak in complete sentences.
Canada’s Thanksgiving is two-and-a-half months before Christmas, not just four weeks before.
Our head of state is a monarch, not a president.
There is no Black Friday.
We have single-payer government healthcare.
Canada’s incarceration rate is about one-seventh of yours.
Gun ownership is strictly regulated.
We share the world’s longest undefended border…..at least for now.
I don’t have to figure out the intricacies of Obamacare to get healthcare coverage.
Twitter has increased its character limit to 280 which also increases Donald Trump’s chances of being understood.
I live in a country with a vast supply of fresh water…..at least for now.
The U. S. Constitution limits a president to two terms.
We don’t have the office of vice president with a scary incumbent.
Our leaders have no problem condemning neo-Nazis.
We don’t have any Confederate statues.
Canada is a wintry wasteland that no one wants to invade…..at least for now.
I don’t live on a flight path of North Korean nuclear missiles.
I don’t know any Russians.
I’m not Donald Trump.

No comments: