Thursday, June 01, 2017

Mother Nature Warns The Donald

MEMORANDUM
TO:  U. S. President Donald J. Trump
FROM:  Mother Nature
     First, let me congratulate you on your huge election victory and your ascendancy to the second most powerful position in the world. To be honest, I didn’t think you had an iceberg’s chance in Florida of pulling it off but you did and I want to acknowledge your achievement.
     I held off writing to you because I figured every new president should be given a chance to do the right thing. I hoped that once you were in office, you would realize the gravity of our planet’s precarious situation and back off from some of your election promises. Sad to say, it looks like you have not.
     Despite your enormous victory, I get the sense that you were almost as surprised as me that you won and perhaps weren’t fully prepared for the ensuing responsibilities. As you recently said about health care reform: “Nobody knew that health care could be so difficult.” Well, the same applies to climate change and the environment.
     Now I know that you are not a believer in climate change but I’m here to tell you that it is real, very real. Maybe you haven’t noticed any effects while residing in the White House or Trump Tower or while golfing on one of your many courses but that doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.
     I’m getting complaints every day from my constituency in the Arctic region. Polar bears, in particular, are telling me that premature breakups are leaving them stranded on ice floes. And my penguin pals inform me that icebergs are calving like crazy in Antarctica.
     I’ve heard that your policy positions are often based on the last thing you’ve read or seen on TV or that somebody has told you. In that case, here’s hoping this memo is the latest thing to reach your desk and that you actually read it. Maybe you could just pretend that I’m a correspondent with FOX News.
     Let’s start first with coal. You’ve lifted restrictions on coal mining and seem to be hell bent on increasing coal production. Not a good idea, in my opinion. Even the Chinese have recognized the damage burning coal does to the atmosphere and are reducing their reliance on coal-burning power plants. I strongly recommend that you do likewise.
     On a larger scale, you have promised to withdraw from the Paris Convention on climate change. Again, that’s a really bad idea. Although I’ve never put a lot of faith in you humans when it comes to making sensible choices, I did have some hope that this treaty would mark the start of a worldwide effort to avert environmental disaster. I’m hoping you’ll reconsider if not for the sake of humanity then at least to ensure that your coastal golf courses are not underwater in thirty years.
     Then there’s your country’s EPA or Environmental Protection Agency. You’re cutting funding to this crucial organization and, worse yet, you’ve appointed a climate change denier to head it up. You might want to rethink that decision while most of your drinking water is still potable.
     I’ll do what I can to mitigate the upcoming damage but we are nearing the tipping point. How about you and I make a deal? You back off on your anti-environment proposals and I’ll do my best to repair the planet. Hope to hear from you soon but don’t delay; this offer is valid for a limited time only.

No comments: